Sunday 25 January 2015

FIFTEEN POUNDS

21-23 Railway Place, Fairfield - ph: (03) 9482 4481

What a gem of a cafe.  Even though Fifteen Pounds is walking distance for us, it is definitely worth travelling for.  I've been here a few times and actually can't believe I haven't written this place up yet.



Yesterday, BF and I had a lazy Saturday morning and wanted breakfast at lunchtime.  Luckily for us, Fifteen Pounds serves their breakfast menu until 3pm.  We sat outside, which was perfect for a warm Summer's day.  The cafe fit-out has a cool, rustic feel with their tables made out of old timber pallets.

We started with a skinny cap and vanilla milkshake - both we couldn't fault.



BF ordered The Roman.  Very fresh with the poached eggs' yolks beautifully runny.  The only comment he made was that there was a bit too much pesto, but he practically licked the plate clean, so I doubt it was a big issue.
The Roman - Smashed avocado on multigrain w/ wild rocket, crispy San Daniella prosciutto, Grana Padano cheese, poached eggs & basil pesto ($17.50)

I went for the Tapioca Pearls which was an amazing dish. I must admit, I hadn't seen tapioca pearls (sago) on many cafe menus so I thought I'd give it a go. I was pleasantly surprised by the generous serving and presentation.  The crumble had crushed macadamia nuts, adding crunch and texture to the smooth sago.  The rivers of citrus curd added a slight sweetness and the fresh mint and mango were perfect for a hot day - made me feel like I was in a tropical part of the world.  Freeze dried mandarin segments were also a lovely surprise.  I couldn't believe the value I got for only $9.50.
Tapioca Pearls w/ Coconut, black sesame, Inca berry, fresh mango, citrus curd & ginger crumble ($9.50)


I know service is a big part of the experience and we weren't let down.  The staff were prompt, attentive and lovely.

Great food, great service, great atmosphere - what else would you want?

Fifteen Pounds on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment