Last weekend we joined Prahran Market and the Victorian Cherry Association to welcome the 2015 Victorian cherry season.
Prahran Market vendors got creative with cherry inspired recipes and the likes of Doughboys Donuts and Naughty Boy Cafe joined the fun with popup stalls selling special edition donuts and shakes.
|Naughty Boy Cafe|
|Sweet Greek Stall|
Prahran Market is always fun with the kids as you can see from my previous posts here and here.
The day was great fun and I got to learn some interesting facts about cherries as well:
* Cherries are a power-packed food loaded with anthocyanins – the antioxidants responsible for their deep red colour.
* Cherries provide a good source of Vitamin C and a source of potassium and fibre.
* There are only 60 calories per 100 grams of cherries, with no fat or cholesterol.
Choose cherries with stems attached. Look for cherries that are plump, firm, bright and shiny with fresh green stems. The colour of cherries will vary according to variety. Avoid cherries that are soft and bruised or small and hard.
* Storing cherries
Once picked, cherries cease to ripen, so should be consumed within four days of purchase and they last longer with the stem attached. Store cherries, loosely packed, in an airtight container or plastic bag in the fridge. Cherries can also be frozen, pitted, for up to six months.
Victorian Cherry Harvest Trail
So why not take a day trip to discover the Victorian cherry trail? Here are some of the orchards around the State:
* Koala Country Orchards, 6547 Maroondah Hwy, Yark – farm gate sales
* Johnson Brothers, 605 Beenak Road, Seville – farm gate sales
* Wandin Valley Farms, 75 Wellington Road, Wandin North – farm gate sales
* CherryHill Orchards, 474 Queens Road, Wandin – pick your own cherries plus farm gate sales
* Big Fella Orchards, 38 Boundary Rd, Coldstream– pick your own cherries plus farm gate sales
* Chappies, 21 Parker Road, Silvan – pick your own cherries plus farm gate sales
* Blue Hills Berries & Cherries, 27 Parker Road, Silvan – pick your own cherries plus farm gate sales
* Oaksun Cherries, 77 Monbulk-Seville Road, Wandin East – farm gate sales
* Mt Gisborne Cherries at 425 Mt. Gisborne Road, Gisborne – farm gate sales
* Red Hill Cherry farm at 61-69 Prossors Lane, Red Hill – pick your own cherries plus farm gate sales
Naughty Boy Cafe