Tuesday 16 October 2012

ELLERY & CO

46 Church St, Hawthorn - ph: (03) 9853 3533

I 'discovered' Ellery & Co by chance the other night as I was walking past to go nearby pub the Barker.

The candle lit tables at Ellery & Co just looked so cosy; the restaurant had a really 'homey' feel to it. Turned out one of my foodie friends rates it as one of her local favourites for simple, fresh meals and good friendly service.

My first visit to Ellery & Co was for dinner with hubby. We loved everything about our meal. The staff was super nice, good range of wines by the glass at reasonable prices, good simple food that didn't take long to get to table and at the same time wasn't served in a rush. The restaurant manages to be casual while maintaining a sophisticated, refined charm. Just perfect for a romantic dinner.

It didn't take us long to come back for brunch with friends on a Sunday arvo. Their breakfast/ brunch menu is equally impressive and very reasonably priced for the quality of food you get.

Roast chicken sandwich with walnut, celery cos and mayo ($10)

Hubby's roast chicken sandwich was huge in size and flavour. The chicken breast was tender and I loved the added texture of walnuts and celery. Simple, well put together dish. 

Home baked beans with fetta on Turkish bread ($12)

Baked beans are such a staple and normally take for granted. Ellery's home baked beans however were some of the tastiest I've ever had. Even though I wasn't too hungry, I couldn't resist but devour my whole dish. Every biteful was a pleasure.

Capuccino ($3.50)

My friend liked her coffee. I didn't try it, but included a pic here to show the cup's perfect presentation. 

Grilled fillet mignon, roasted potatoes and spinach ($22)

Her stake looked tender and well cooked. She also enjoyed her dish.

In sum, the food is awesome at Ellery & Co. But the best things about this restaurant for me are the friendly service and the fact that it is not overcrowded like so many other 'buzz restaurants' around town. I'm so over the whole queueing for tables, waiting for weeks to get a reservation drama of the Melbourne dining scene.

It was refreshing to find a relaxed place to have brunch or dinner with friends so close to home.

Ellery & Co on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment