Sunday 19 February 2012

IL FORNAIO

2 Acland St, St Kilda - ph: 03 9534 2922

I had the best breakfast EVER last Sunday!

It was such a lovely sunny morning last weekend that I couldn't resist going to the beach. Trying to make the most out of the last days of summer before the cold settles in...

I had been to Il Fornaio before when the cafe first opened with Philippa Sibley (of Philippa's bakery) as chef. Food was good, but the place was more of a bakery than cafe and cooked breakfast choices were pretty limited.

Things are much different now under the executive chef - Mark Boyd (of Bistro Guillaume and Jacques Raymond).

The menu is broader and more sophisticated. There is a strong emphasis on using top quality ingredients, which I absolutely love.

I was also impressed by the creativity in the menu. You can find all the staples - baked beans, avocado on toast, poached eggs - but always with a twist.

I ordered the spinach stack - fresh spinach, oyster mushrooms and ricotta on gluten free bread, topped with a generous portion of avocado.

The dish was exactly what I was looking for: simple, fresh, light, tangy and very filling.

Spinach stack - fresh spinach, oyster mushrooms and ricotta on gluten free bread, topped with avocado ($14) + poached egg ($2)

Il Fornaio offers a variety of freshly squeezed juices which included my favourite fruit juice - grapefruit. I was in heaven.

Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice ($6)

This place really surprised me. I had a lovely brunch sitting outside and enjoying the sun while sipping on my cold grapefruit juice. Staff was nice, the ambiance was relaxed and the price very reasonable. Definitely recommended!


Il Fornaio on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment