Wednesday 24 August 2011

HARDWARE LANE SOCIETE

120 Hardware St, Melbourne - ph: (03) 9078 5992

I keep hearing about how great Hardware Lane Societe is from one of my girlfriends who works nearby.

Finally, I managed to squeeze in a visit before heading to an appointment in that end of town.

Harware Lane Societe is a tiny shop tucked away at the far end of Hardware St. The place was surprisingly quite when I arrived around 8am (apparently, it is shockers everyday of the week).

It was such a cold morning that I thought the semolina porridge would be the perfect ask.

Semolina porridge with passionfruit, rhubarb and shaved almonds ($11)

The porridge was delicious. The semolina had perfect creamy texture - absolutely lump free.

The passionfruit had been reduced to this incredibly sweet and sour sauce and the rhubarb melted away in the mouth. I liked the addition of the almonds for some texture.

Semolina porridge close up - great texture

I was also tempted to try one of their famous macarons, they looked so cute on display. Bought a coffee macaron to take away - I had to remind myself is was still before 9am and therefore not the time to be eating such a thing - but ended up not being able to resist it. I can now say that I firmly agree with what everyone else says about it - amazing.

Macarons on display

Hardware Lane Societe is definitely a gem in the city. Not only was the food great, the service was also top notch. I realised I had no money on me when I walked to the counter (they take cash only) and the waiter immediately pointed me in the direction of the nearest ATM without a hint of suspicion and a smile on his face.

I'll be coming bad for more food and more macarons!

PS. I'm also including this post in the 'dessert' category to remind me that macarrons are not a breakfast item :)

The Hardware Societe on Urbanspoon

1 comment: