Sunday 27 October 2013

BELLA VEDERE

874 Maroondah Hwy, Coldstream - (03) 5962 6161

A couple of weeks ago, Bestie and I went to Bella Vedere for a joint belated birthday lunch.  It was to shout each other a lovely meal and a great excuse to spend time together.  We had been here years ago for an afternoon tea where I discovered, what I'm calling, 'the best tiramisu in the world.'  I've previously posted how crazy I am about tiramisu, see my tiramisu recipe here.  BF also knows how mad I am about Bella Vedere's tiramisu, as he once asked them to make one for me, drove all the way there and back again as a surprise.

So, as you can probably tell, I was very excited to have lunch at Bella Vedere.  When I booked, I asked if there would be tiramisu (as the menu changes everyday) and was told that they couldn't guarantee, but would whisper into the chef's ear and to keep our fingers-crossed.  So, crossing my fingers, I certainly did!


Menu

When we arrived, I spotted a large bowl of tiramisu on the stunning dessert table.  I got very excited and couldn't wait for dessert.  However, as you know, I couldn't just have dessert.

For mains, I ordered the Veal Saltimbocca with prosciutto sage panned with white wine butter served with Milanese risotto.  I found the flavours of the dish nice, but found the veal a little tough.  I actually had to ask for a steak knife as I couldn't cut it with my standard knife.  The risotto was a little under-seasoned by itself, however with the saltiness of the veal, it was a great pairing.
Veal Saltimbocca with prosciutto sage panned with white wine butter served with Milanese risotto ($36.00)

Bestie's main dish was the Organic chicken from Arandale Farm Milawa braised cacciatore style with rice.  The chicken was cooked to perfection.  Falling off the bone and tender.  Delicious!  I must say that I did get a little case of the dreaded food-envy.
Organic chicken from Arandale Farm Milawa braised cacciatore style with rice ($32.00)

We also shared a side of hand cut chips. They were lovely - crispy on the exterior, soft potato on the inside.
Hand cut chips ($8.00)

So, now for the pièce de résistance, the reason why we were there - tiramisu.  To say the least, it didn't disappoint.  I ordered one serve to have there and another to take home.  I found Bella Vedere's tiramisu to be more chocolate based with a hit of alcohol.  Still with coffee, however with a chocolate cake and small chunks of chocolate scattered throughout, it reminded me of cookies and cream.  Their cream component was light, making it very easy to eat.
 
Even though I'm a tiramisu nut, Bestie isn't so.  Her dessert choice was the blueberry cheesecake.  It was delicious as well.  If we weren't so full, I would have stayed longer to try more of their dolces from their dessert table.


Bella Vedere is a great restaurant with amazing sweets.  If you are in the Yarra Valley region, I would recommend stopping into Bella Vedere.  You may want to book first as all tables were full during our lunchtime serve.  As you probably can tell, I would definitely come back for their tiramisu.  I would die if I could work out how they make it so amazing.

Bella Vedere on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment